These instructions will help you successfully connect to your corporate VPN so you can work remotely. Successfully connecting to the network is a multi-step process:
- Install your VPN software. This will be provided for you. Once installed, it should appear on your desktop or task tray (near clock). If it is not in the task tray, double click the shortcut on your desktop.
- If the VPN is already connected, right click on the tray icon and hit disconnect. Now, right click and hit connect. Enter your provided username and password when prompted (if required.)
- After the VPN says connected, you will use remote desktop to access the remote machine. Hold [Windows Key + R] and type or copy: %windir%\system32\mstsc.exe
Or just look for the remote desktop icon in your installed programs, it comes included with Windows.
- You can use the IP address or computer name for the machine you wish to connect to. You will need your username and password for the machine.
- Type the address or name of the machine you would like to connect to where it says “Computer” in the remote desktop connection window. At the logon screen, use the username and password to login to the machine. Please note: Using the IP address is more reliable.
- If everything was setup correctly and you entered everything correctly, you should connect with no issue. If you run into an initial issue, please contact support for help.
90% of VPN issues are due to the firewall on the target computer (the one you want to connect to). The firewall sometimes changes to block when the computer reboots, loses power, or does a windows update.
The best solution is a computer reboot. If that doesn’t fix it, you’ll need some tech support.